Get printable 3D parts with threads in 3 simple steps
coolOrange threadModeler online
threadModeler online is a proof of concept of the capability that Autodesk Forge provides. Autodesk Forge is a cloud-based platform to provide modern cloud-powered applications. With threadModeler online, coolOrange demonstrates how to cover a real use case with a Forge application. threadModeler online can be used for free. But to keep it that way, the functionality must be kept simple. So threadModeler online does not support tapered threads or threads on freeforms. The nominal diameter is calculated for outer threads. For inner threads you might need to modify the diameter. By default, we ship the template “ISO Template.ipt”. But you can also add a template of your own.
Even though there are some limitations to threadModeler online, we are confident that you will like threadModeler online. If you have recommendations to improve the coolOrange's threadModeler online, send a mail to email@example.com or CRT@coolorange.com.
Can threadModeler be used for 3D printing?
The initial intention of the threadModeler was not 3D printing. The threadModeler was made to show how the Inventor API can be used to model realistic threads. We got feedback form some users that the thread was good enough for 3D printing. Other feedback was, that the result was not sufficient. So it depends on your needs whether the threadModeler can be used for 3D printing. Keep in mind that you can modify the sketch of the template to improve the thread to your needs.
Can coolOrange guarantee that the threads created by threadModeler match the Standards?
No, coolOrange cannot guarantee that the dimensions of the threads of threadModeler match exaclty to the dimensions of the Standards. Therefore, coolOrange provides the possibility to upload your own templates. However, we do not validate the templates that are uploaded.
Known issues with threadModeler online:
- For NPT threads, you need to have cone surface. Otherwise, the threadModeler will fail to create the thread.
- For parts with iMates, you must first remove them because of existing issues with the threadModeler.
- For internal threads, you must first make the hole and then add the thread as a separate feature in the next step. Otherwise, the thread will not be generated.
- Adding chamfer before running threadModeler will result with threads ending at the chamfer.
- Freeforms are not supported by threadModeler.
- threadModeler uses Forge platform for processing the thread and we cannot control the region's settings. Therefore, it could be that the thread's pitch might be incorrect depending on your region settings.
- If the threadModeler keeps hanging at the Initializing.. step, then try again after changing the filename because threadModeler currently has issues with spaces and special characters in the filename.